Thapar University, formerly known as Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, was founded in 1956 by Karam Chand Thapar and is situated in Patiala. It has grown in size and activities during the last five decades of its existence.
Address: Bhadson Road, Patiala, Punjab 147004, India
Campus size: 250 acres
Phone: +91 175 239 3021
Director: Prof. Prakash Gopalan
Chairman: Sh. R.R. Vederah
Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology(TIETU), Punjab offers degree programmes at the undergraduate(UG), postgraduate(PG) and doctorate (PhD) level. The programmes offered are majorly in the stream of Engineering. However, the institute also offers MBA, MCA, MSc and MA programmes.
TIETU also offers PG level distance education programme in MCA.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria for UG & PG Courses
For admissions to UG programmes, aspirants must have passed 10+2 or equivalent examination with a minimum of 60% marks (55% for SC/ST candidates) in aggregate. Candidates must have acquired a minimum of 15% aggregate marks(10% for SC/ST candidates) in the national level exam accepted by TIETU for admissions to certain courses.
Candidates seeking admissions to PG programmes at the institute should have a Bachelors degree of minimum 3 years duration in any discipline from a recognised University. They should also have acquired a minimum of 50% to 60% (5% relaxation for SC/ST/Industry Sponsored) marks in aggregate in the qualifying examination, depending on the programme.
Admissions to all UG programmes and PG Programmes is based on merit prepared by the institute. In most of the cases, there are no separate entrance tests conducted. However for some courses TIETU might conduct an offline exam. Check details below:
|BE/BTech Lateral Entry||LEET – TU (Offline test conducted by TIETU (for Diploma in Engineering/BSc (Non-Medical) candidates)|
|MCA/MCA Lateral Entry||Admissions will be based on merit of 10th, 12th and graduation|
|MSc||40% weightage to 12th marks and 60% weightage to Graduation marks|
|MA||Combining percentage of marks obtained at 12th and Graduation|
* TIETU may conduct an offline test to fill the remaining seats left after offering the same to GATE qualified candidates. Check details now.
- ME/M.Tech programs offered by CSED, MED, CED and ECED: Offline test to fill remaining seats
- Other departments/schools: Remaining seats to be filled on the basis of merit by giving 30% weightage to 12th marks and 70% weightage to BE/BTech marks
- In case students have graduated with an MSc degree: Seats will be filled on the basis of merit prepared by giving 50% weightage to BSc marks and 50% weightage to MSc marks.
Application Process for All Courses
The application form for admissions to TIETU needs to be filled online on – www.thapar.edu. Aspirants need to follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Click on the “Apply Online” link on the official website of home page of TIETU. The page will guide you to the landing page of the application form.
- Step 2:After reaching the landing page, students will have to choose the programme of their choice. Students are advised to read the “Eligibility” section for the course they wish to apply. Also go through the “How to Apply” section before apply for the respective programme.
- Step 3: Click on “Create New Account” tab and fill in the details correctly. This will enable you to create a new account on the website. You would receive a unique “Username” and “Password” by email. If you have already received your “Username” and “Password”.
- Step 4: Login with your “Username” and “Password” and fill in personal details like Personal Details, Academic Details, programmes of your choice, upload your recent photograph & signature. After doing these, submit the application form.
- Step 5: Now, pay the application fee through the Payment Gateway (online mode) or through Demand Draft (offline mode).
- For all programmes except MSc and MA: Rs. 1,500/-
- MSc and MA: Rs. 1,000/-
Online submission of application fee: Once you submit the application fee successfully online, you would receive the confirmation by email regarding the acceptance of your online application form.
Submission of application fee through DD: In this case, you would receive the confirmation by email regarding the acceptance of your online application form after the University receives your filled Application Form along with DD through Registered Post/Courier/Speed Post or by hand at the following address:
In-charge Admission Cell’ Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology University, Patiala (Punjab)-147 004.
Once you fill the application forms completely, take to print outs to produce it at the time of document checking of original documents during ‘In-person’ counselling.
The admit card/hall ticket will be issued a week or two prior to the entrance exam. Aspirants are supposed to carry the same with them to their respective exam centers else they would not be allowed to take the exam.
The dates for 2017 will be updated soon.
International Student Admissions
TIETU offers UG and PG admissions to international students as well. Around 15% over and above seats in each program/discipline are reserved for the FN/NRI candidates. These students need not to appear in the Entrance Test (except for PhD program).
Minimum eligibility requirement:
International students should have passed their 10+2 with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks.
Documents required at the time of admissions:
- Copy of the application form
- DMC of qualifying exam
- Character Certificate
- Date of birth certificate(Matriculation)
- Medical certificate
- Sponsorship Affidavit
- Demand Draft of fee in favour of the Thapar University, payable at Patiala.
- The original passport & photocopies of pages containing personal Information and Visa.
- Documentary proof showing the location of school/Institute where student is currently doing the qualifying exam.
- Transcript of the qualifying exam, if passed from Universities/Boards other than Indian
For more details on international admissions, please get in touch with the institute.
Commencement of application submission
March 21, 2017
Last date to submit BE./BTech application forms
May 15, 2017
Display of first list of selected candidates
May 22, 2017
Display of second list of selected candidates
June 12, 2017
Display of third list of selected candidates
June 23, 2017
Display of fourth list of selected candidates
First week of July 2017
July 21 to 23, 2017